Advocate for change by improving safety, reducing risk.
It’s an all too familiar story. Mass shooting. Gun suicide. Domestic violence. Children, parents, and communities, ripped apart in seconds. Often times, preventable. Children & teens living in a home with an unsecured gun. Gun stolen from an unlocked car. Absence of red flag laws. Online warning signs. Alcohol & drugs. Stray bullet.
Gun Violence Stats for Tennessee:
- Firearms are the leading cause of death among children and teens in Tennessee.
- Tennessee has the11th-highest rate of gun deaths in the US
- Tennessee has more guns stolen from cars than any other state in the US.
- Gun suicide accounts for 57% of total gun deaths.
- Lock and securely store firearms in your house or car. First, remove ammunition. Then, apply a lock and securely store the weapon. Store ammunition separately. This keeps guns out of the hands of curious children, teens, criminals, and anyone who may be in the midst of a suicidal crisis. For more information, visit the BeSMART for kids webpage at besmart.org.
- Ask friends and family about secure firearm storage in their homes. Talk with teens. Sample texts and conversations can be found at besmart.org
- Learn more about preventable gun deaths in your state by visiting Everytown.org.
- Follow Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense or Students Demand Action for Gun Sense on Facebook and Instagram. Share helpful information on your social accounts.
- Support Moms Demand and Students Demand by texting LOVE to 644-33.
- Vote for Gun Sense candidates at the local, state, and federal level. Visit gunsensevoter.org for Tennessee candidates running with this distinction.